Seems to me that everyone from Liverpool loves Beefheart, Pink Floyd and Arthur Lee's Love. The city also has an amazing legacy of mind-altering pop. In recognition of this I thought I'd put together this playlist. It's not meant to be definitive, is highly personal, and may well be added to. Feel free to add suggestions in the comments. Check it out la!
Click over the jump for my video playlist.
1. The Beatles - Blue Jay Way (1967)
No scouse psych list would be complete without a contribution from George Harrison, the original mystic scally. There is indeed "a fog over LA.."
2. The Real People - Window Pane (1990)
Sounded great in the indie-disco of it's day, featuring "that" baggy drumbeat!
3. The Coral - Something Inside Of Me (1995)
Hoylake's finest with a single taken from The Invisible Invasion (their best ever album?)
4. The Teardrop Explodes - Reward (1981)
I recommend reading Julian Cope's book "Head" for a better insight into their LSD fuelled escapades. A word of warning - you may never be the same again!
5. The 23rd Turnoff - Michael Angelo (1967)
Art-inspired homage from the first summer of love.
5. The Stairs - Weed Bus (1991)
Not particularly psychedelic or mystic, but we'll include for the pudding bowl haircuts and nonchalant shaking of marracas.
6. The Cubical -
The city's current best kept secret. Catch them live if you can.
7. Echo And The Bunnymen - Bring On The Dancing Horses (1985)
Big band, big hair, big tune!
8. The La's - Looking Glass (1989)
Closing track from the legendary eponymous album. Here's a live version from the Town & Country Club.
9.Michael Head Documentary (1992)
The Pale Fountains, Shack, Michael Head and The Strands. Enough said, Michael Head, we salute you.
10. The Stands - Here She Comes Again (2004)
Byrds style jangling from the 1st LP. About a mysterious girl...
11. The Liverpool Scene - Batpoem (1969)
Liverpool owes much to Henri, Mcgough & Patten. RIP Adrian.