Sunday 3 June 2018

Bananas Magazine #16


New issue of our favourite inky 'zine!

2018 is rapidly approaching its midway mark. It's been a weird one for me so far, a few profesional breakthroughs but more than enough day-job ennui, usually experienced with the added impairment of a hangover. So yeah too much booze, too much work and moments of true joy few and far between. That said the new music I've heard this year has been pretty special. I've spent more money on vinyl this year than I have the previous few years put together and I've not regretted a penny. I'm not sure how you readers (I'm presuming there are some!), come across new bands and records. Don't get me wrong, the internet can be a wonderful thing and I use Spotify, Twitter, YouTube and all the rest of it and occasionally come across new music and bands that way, but there's no substitute for good old printed paper, curated content and stylistic parameters.That's why it's always such a pleasure to read a new issue of Bananas Magazine. For the latest in global garage rock nobody does it better.

The latest issue dropped through my letterbox last Saturday and truly brightened my day. I took it along to the pub that night and read through some of the great record reviews and interviews while my mate's band were soundchecking. Great to see HD faves The Blind Owls get a feature. Their latest Four EP was one my recent vinyl puchases by the way! There are also some fabulous pieces on Archie and The Bumkers, Les Sullies, The Creation Factory, Reverend Beat-Man and more. Bananas magazine always has the greatest illustrations, the artist spotlight interview with artist Matt Adams is fabulous too. Makes me wish I could draw! As ever the've put together a Bandcamp compilation to accompany the issue. Check it out below. In a time when politicians from every country seem to be getting more and more insular, protectionist and nationalistic, it 's encouraging to see musicians and music fans in favour of disregarding boundaries and borders and fostering a truly global inclusive attitude. More of it please!

www.bananas-magazine.com
www.facebook.com/bananasmagazine


No comments:

Post a Comment